Ayurvedic Wisdom around Menopause
Ayurveda's take on menopause is different than that in the west. It's not looked as a disease but rather a time in life to embrace your inner wise woman. Menopause is classified as the first full year without a bleed.
Both estrogen and progesterone decline in the body during the menopausal years. Both hormones are connected to ojas and tejas in the Ayurvedic world.
- Ojas- Is related to the kapha dosha. In Ayurveda there are 7 layers of tissues and ojas is built up after it's passed through the 7 tissues.
- Tejas- Is related to the pitta dosha. It acts as the subtle essence of agni. It helps transform the digestive fire.
Which means during menopause you want to keep pitta and kapha balanced. Pitta should reside in the core and kapha should not be depleted.
If stress is high it will affect the nervous system. If the nervous system becomes unbalanced vata dosha will also start to play a factor in the body.
That can look like:
- Cortisol levels increase
- Blood Pressure increases
- Heart Rate increases
The monthly bleed we experience is a release of pitta in the body. So when that stops we need to make sure excess pitta or heat doesn't arise in the body.
The Doshas & Menopause
- Dry Skin
- Scanty bleeding during perimenopause
- Digestive discomfort and constipation
- Trouble sleeping
- Trouble focusing
- Anxious and fearful
- Bone Loss
- Hot flashes
- Irritable and cranky
- Heavy bleeding in perimenopause
- Excess heat in the body
- Heart imbalances
- Anger, jealousy
- Inflammation, red skin
- Weight gain
- Sad, depressed
- Feeling heavy
- Lack of focus but due to feeling dull
Tips to find balance
- Drink Water
- Eat a vata pacifying diet that doesn't aggravate pitta.
- Enjoy CCF tea in between meals
- Minimal snacking
- Circadian Fasting (eating between a window of 12-16 hours)
- Reduce caffeine and alcohol
- Yoga Nidra
- Pranayama- alternate nostril breathing to calm vata or sheetali to reduce excess heat in the body.
- Meditate before bed to help aid in sleep.
- A daily yoga asana practice
- Try not to live in the past and release things from the past that no longer serve you.
Flow With Your Cycle
Flow With Your Cycle is for you if you want to optimize your health, live in sync with their cycle and finally understand the difference between the follicular and luteal phase. I wanted to create this program to help you feel confident about their menstrual cycles. To understand what practices are best for you and to not be surprised by your period showing up when you weren't expecting it. You will be able to learn how to eat, workout, work & practice self-care with your cycle.