Ayurvedic Approach to Acne
Acne is related to not just what we put on our skin, but what we put in our bodies. In Ayurveda we look at what dosha type the acne is associated with and there is a system for getting to the root cause of your stubborn acne!
Acne Broken down by types
- More prone to blackheads
- Dryness in the body which can lead to an overproduction of oil
- Clogging of the skin
- Redness in the skin
- Painful pimples
- An imbalance in pitta affects the blood and liver.
- Cystic acne
- Large red acne that might ooze
- Drink lots of water to combat dryness in skin
- Enjoy watery foods- zucchini, okra, melons
- Add more fiber to diet
- Decrease alcohol, coffee, salt, soda
- Castor oil packs
- Enjoy healthy fats- fish, chia & hemp seeds, olive oil, avocado oil, ghee
- Use water based moisturizers, oil based abhyanga (sesame oil is best)
- Keep stress low
- Cool the fire with good quality, low-fat dairy.
- Skip anything that is fermented.
- Avoid sugar and opt for honey instead.
- Pacify pitta with olive or coconut oil.
- Let grains guide you. Wheat, rice, barley, and oats are the best grains to reduce pitta.
- Eat sweeter fruits such as grapes, melons, and cherries.
- Eat cooling, calming vegetables such as asparagus, cucumbers, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and green leafy vegetables. Reduce tomatoes, hot peppers, carrots, beets, eggplant, onions, garlic, radishes, and spinach.
- Go easy on spicy seasoning. Instead choose spices that will cool and soothe. Coriander, cilantro, cardamom, saffron, and fennel are good choices.
- If you eat meat, chicken, pheasant, and turkey are best.
- Eliminate- dairy, sugar, wheat, and heavy damp foods.
- Enjoy bitter & astringent foods- leafy greens, cashews.
- Kapha acne- also needs to make sure there is movement in the body. Exercise early morning is best.
- Lymphatic system might be backed up- dry brush (pending where acne is located on face dry brush is okay if cystic acne is on back skip dry brushing there)
- Castor oil packs to help move the lymphatic system
- Walks and movement are your medicine
- Eat More Greens
- Oil up- Abhyanga
- Reduce Stress
- Watch your make-up/face cleansers- the less ingredients the better.
- Stay Hydrated
Heal your period pain for good learning how to find your inner balance using Ayurveda as your guide!
view + leave comments . . .