Ayurvedic Winter Morning Routines
The morning hours are such a sacred time for self-care. Especially in the quietness of winter. Sleep is often something one might over indulge in during winter , but it’s important to wake around 6-7am to start your day even if the sun is not out yet.
If you’re struggling to get up around 6am make sure you’re getting to bed before 10pm.
*If you’re in your menstrual phase of your cycle you might need an extra hour of sleep (7am) during the winter months.
In the winter season routine is important. The vata dosha enjoys variety but to make sure you stay grounded a regular routine will help pacify the vata dosha.
A morning routine could look like this for the winter season.
- Scrape your tongue & brush your teeth
- Do some yoga asana (see below pictures for the poses to incorporate)
- Breathing practice- Breath of fire will cleanse kapha dosha which can be prone to stagnation.
- Followed by right nostril breathing which promotes circulation and heat.
- Follow by a quiet meditation
- Apply sesame oil on your body which is a universal oil that balances all three doshas.
- Enjoy a warm cooked breakfast such as oatmeal.
Wanting more Ayurvedic wisdom?
Learn about Ayurveda in this 5 day Toolkit. They are my top 5 Ayurvedic tips to get started living in alignment with the seasons and your body.