Workout Tips in the Follicular Phase
New to learning how to workout with your cycle? Women have 4 phases of the menstrual cycle; Menstruation, Follicular, Luteal, & Ovulation. The follicular phase is also referred to as the spring season. The spring season is the time where we start to gain energy, be seen, are good at communicating our ideas, connect with others easily.
The follicular phase is usually around days 6-12 of your cycle. The start of your follicular phase you probably feel energy starting to come back, feel more creative and inspired.
One final note if you are on hormonal birth control pills you can follow the plan but your hormones are not syncing in quite the same manner. But this plan won't hurt you!
After menstrual bleeding is complete, your hormone levels begin to rise. FSH levels continue to gradually rise to help an egg mature in the ovary, and then drop shortly before ovulation.
Estrogen levels also gradually rise, beginning to peak towards the end of this phase just before the next egg begins its journey down the fallopian tube.
High estrogen levels have been linked to both a reduced muscle stretch reflex and more pliable hamstring muscles: more pliable muscles may make women more vulnerable to knee injuries, as the muscles absorb less force from the joints.
Training During the Follicular Phase
- Dance- Creative energy is strong, connection to your feminine energy free flowing movement. This is the time you feel inspired to be in your body. Turn on some music and dance.
- Watch the high impact movements- This phase can be a time prone to knee injuries if you have flexible hamstrings and are doing high impact jumping movements. Make sure you are watching your form, or keeping the impact minimal during this phase.
- Try something new- What sounds fun to try? Have you always wanted to do a spin class, or a Zumba class, or maybe barre class? Join an online or in-person class this phase to get your creative juices flowing.
- Strength Training- This time in your cycle is one of the best phases to put on muscle. If toning up has been a goal of your's making sure you incorporate strength training is key. Lift as heavy as weights as you can handle to really notice a shift with your physique and strength.
- What would be fun right now? Honor your inner wild child, by skipping the traditional workout and enjoying a hike through the woods, cross-country skiing, snowboarding, paddle boarding or whatever in-season sport is going on for you. Think movement vs workout to blossom during this phase.
What are your big takeaways?
What can you start to plan today to help you start to workout with your cycle? I like to map out my workouts on a weekly basis so I have a good idea of where I'm at in my cycle and energy level each week.
Let me know on Instagram what your biggest takeaways were in a DM or any questions you might have!
Wanting to go deeper?
Hustle, Muscle & Flow is my signature group program
This program is diving deep into how to workout with your cycle.
- 3 months of strength based workouts to do throughout your cycle
- Monthly group Zoom calls that will be include a group workout
- Nutrition & herbal support guide
- Self-care guidebook throughout your cycle
- Journaling prompts for each phase of your cycle
- Meditations for each phase of your cycle
- Workout tracker around your cycle