I wanted to touch on Ayurveda and kiddos and how you can help set your child(ren) up for success no matter their dosha. Just like an adult each dosha has a few unique qualities and in a child having boundaries set, the right amount of give and take can really help them succeed.
What are the doshas? They are the mind/body energies we consist of in Ayurveda we call them vata, pitta & kapha. We have all 3 in us in varying amounts. The unique make-up we have at birth is called our prakriti, when they are out of balance we call it our vikriti. So just like adults kids can be out of balance with their innate nature. For example you probably can think of your siblings as have a lot of similarities but you also have some differences. In Ayurveda a vata sibling for example might be the dreamer, the wonderer, the creative, where as the pitta sibling has the spreadsheet, organized notebook, never forgets their books at school. Parenting those two siblings you will have a different understanding as to what works for them vs what works for their sibling.
Today I want to dive into the pitta dosha and kiddos but let’s start with pitta dosha framework no matter your age.
- Aligned with fire
- Season of the year- Summer
- Time of day- 10-2am/pm
- Medium body frame
- Doesn’t tolerate hot weather
Pitta Characteristics When Out Of Balance
- Tends to run warm
- Quick tempered
- Overly focused which leads to burn out
- Heat conditions in the body- red skin, blotchy skin, loose stools
- Critical demanding
Pitta Characteristics When In Balance
- Good combination skin
- Good leadership skills
- They are focused
- They get things done
How can you help a pitta child stay focused?
- Go for walks
- Bodyweight exercises
- Restorative yoga
- Self-care practices
- Teach your child calming techniques as they can be more prone to angry outbursts
- Taking deep breaths can be a form of mediation for the pitta child
- Getting outside to burn off their ample competitive fiery athletic energy
Where to connect with Andrea
- Instagram- http://instagram.com/seasonallivingmamas
- Website- andreaclaassen.com
- Facebook- www.facebook.com/andreaclaassen21
- December Holistic Fitness Almanac- www.andreaclaassen.com/december