I wanted to touch on Ayurveda and kiddos and how you can help set your child(ren) up for success no matter their dosha. Just like an adult each dosha has a few unique qualities and in a child having boundaries set, the right amount of give and take can really help them succeed.
What are the doshas? They are the mind/body energies we consist of in Ayurveda we call them vata, pitta & kapha. We have all 3 in us in varying amounts. The unique make-up we have at birth is called our prakriti, when they are out of balance we call it our vikriti. So just like adults kids can be out of balance with their innate nature. For example you probably can think of your siblings as have a lot of similarities but you also have some differences. In Ayurveda a vata sibling for example might be the dreamer, the wonderer, the creative, where as the pitta sibling has the spreadsheet, organized notebook, never forgets their books at school. Parenting those two siblings you will have a different understanding as to what works for them vs what works for their sibling.
Today I want to dive into the vata dosha and kiddos but let's start with vata dosha framework no matter your age.
- Tend to be smaller in frame
- Season of the year- Fall through mid-winter
- Time of day- 2-6am/pm
Vata Characteristics When Out Of Balance
- Lack of focus
- Dry qualities in the body -dry skin, constipation
- Always cold
- Unpredictable movements & thoughts
Vata Characteristics When In Balance
- Loves music
- Out of the box thinker
- Arts & Crafts usually are activities that a vata thrives doing
How can you help a vata child stay focused?
- Make sure they have a schedule- the vata child usually thrives on routine but often dislikes keeping one.
- Meditation or yoga- This will help calm the anxious and excited energy that often is correlated with the vata dosha.
- Arts & Craft time- The vata child will really enjoy doing more arts and crafts to help them express their creative outlook on life.
- Eating warm, cooked foods- Vatas are prone to constipation so incorporating warm cooked foods will help with the vata digestion.
- Dress in layers- Make sure the vata child has layers on and is protected from the wind element. Vata is associated with wind in Ayurveda like increases like and opposites heal. So a cool windy day will really aggravate the vata dosha in your child. That doesn't mean don't take them outdoors it means when you bring them inside have a warm beverage, a Cosmic kids yoga session, or an art project lined up to help them pacify the excessive vata dosha.
Where to connect with Andrea
- Instagram- http://instagram.com/seasonallivingmamas
- Website- andreaclaassen.com
- Facebook- www.facebook.com/andreaclaassen21
Wanting to deepen your Ayurveda journey? Or even just learn how to start introducing Ayurvedic concepts into your life?
Seasonal Living Collective
A 6 week journey to dive deeper into Ayurvedic medicine that works in your life. Start to align your families routine according to the seasons. Understand why your routines might fail in winter but thrive in the summer.
Learn more here
Wanting to dive deeper with Ayurveda?
Join our free 5 day Ayurveda for the Modern Mama program today!
Day 1: Finding Time for YOU
Day 2: Ayurvedic Food Practices Made Simple
Day 3: Mindful Practices for the modern mama
Day 4: Moving your body daily
Day 5: Seasonal self-care
view + leave comments . . .