October on the podcast our theme is pre/postpartum health. This is an area I focus on as a trainer and Ayurvedic wellness counselor. I know for my pregnancy with my son whose 3.5 years old wasn't planned as 50% of all pregnancies are. I know I've finally moved into the possibility of having another child and will be following all of the tips I share on today's podcast over the next few months to better prepare my body for pregnancy and postpartum healing period.
I have numerous guests on this month ranging from fitness professional, Ayurvedic postpartum doula, RN/doula, and a dietician. A little something for everyone ranging from preconception through postpartum time.
How are you doing? What does your body need?
In general Ayurveda recommends prepping the body for pregnancy 3-6 months before. How would one do that you ask? Let's dive in today.
The first thing recommended is a cleanse.
- Vata- 7 days
- Pitta 10-14 days
- Kapha up to 28 days
The tips below are for general health, no known fertility problems. If there are fertility problems the protocol is more complex and you would want to make an appointment with an Ayurvedic practitioner or doctor.
Start by looking at the below 4 ideas:
- Track ovulation- count back 12 days from expected start of next period & then count back 4 more days. That is the pregnancy window.
- Address and normalize agni (digestion)
- Clear ama (toxins) from dhatu's (7 tissues of the body-plasma, blood, muscle, fat, bone, marrow / nerves, and reproductive tissue)
- Build strength of all dhatus
How to clear ama & strengthen dhatus?
- Exercise regularly
- Iron, B12 & folate
- High quality fats & protein
- Stress impacts fertility
- Alkaline diet
- Meditation, yoga nidra, journal
- 5 Senses awareness
Journal Prompt- Start to map out a fertility plan for yourself if that is something you ware wanting to happen in the next 3-6 months.