~ Pitta Dosha & Summer Time ~
The summer months in Ayurveda are associated with the pitta dosha. The pitta dosha is known for its fire, intensity, heat and passion. It's easy to see if you are a pitta dosha how you can easily go overboard into burnt out, judgmental, bite someone's head off for a simple misunderstanding. (If you don't know your dosha you can take a free quiz here)
What happens when you are a pitta dosha and its Summer what's a pitta to do? While I'm a pitta dosha myself and I want to share a few tips on how to stay in balance all summer long.
Pitta Tips for the Summertime
- Stay Cool- Well duh you might be thinking but the pitta dosha is one that tends towards overheating more so than the other doshas. I personally am coming off a mini heat stroke episode myself. So make sure you are honoring your inner fire and working out not during the high time of the sun 10-2pm.
- Afternoon Treat- Enjoy a cooling treat in the middle of your day. I personally enjoy a La Croix Curate as a cooling mid-afternoon "treat" it is especially nice on a hot summer day. Ayurveda is not big on snacking but if you do fruit is recommended. So give yourself a sweet treat to help you stay calm, cool & collected.
- Self-Care- To help ease the intensity that pitta's often show make sure you take a little you time. What do you like to do to feel relaxed, refreshed to recharge? Personally I love nature, reading, and writing poems. What things do you like to do to take care of you? Make a list and have it handy. Sometimes we forget to take care of ourselves so if you don't have your list memorized make sure you keep it in a place you see daily.
- Cooling Foods- Instead of enjoying warm, heavy foods, opt for yummy fresh garden greens to make a salad, smoothie.
- Watch your workouts- Yes, most pittas are competitive and love to push themselves to the max. In the summer months if you over do it we tend to bring in the negative emotions and tendencies of the pitta dosha. Instead opt for working out before 9am, or after the sun goes down.
Craving More Ayurveda?
Download the free 28 Days of Ayurveda Toolkit Below!