In Ayurveda we like to work with opposites. It's hot outside so we need to cool down on the inside. That starts with food. During the summer months there are many great cooling foods that are better during the warmer months such as fresh garden veggies and smoothies.
- Coconut oil
Other Summer Routines to be mindful of:
- Workouts- Try and workout before 10am. Working out during the hottest part of the day is not advised. That will increase the pitta dosha which is the predominant dosha in the summer months and lead to burnout, heat related illnesses, and just feeling overly fiery.
- Spray yourself with flower waters to keep cool- rose or jasmine infused water are recommended
- Staying outside and enjoying the moon. The moon will help pacify the intensity of the pitta dosha.
- Coconut oil yourself up! Gentle daily coconut oil self-massage will cool you down and calm the nervous system and reduce dehydration.
- Drink cool but not ice cold water. You can add mint, cucumber or lime for a little twist
- Avoid intensity and conflict in July & August especially from 10-2pm. That is when the heat is the strongest and tempers tend to flare. Stay away from the people who trigger arguments with you at that time of the day.
- Sleep on the right side to cool the nervous system
- Essential oils for summertime- Rose, lavender, jasmine, lotus & sandalwood
- Slow down. The summertime is not the time to add 50 new projects to your plate but to take it easy especially during the mid-day or afternoon slump. Pick when your most productive work hard during those hours and really do minimal tasks or scroll Facebook during your non-busy hours.
Wanting More Ayurveda?
Download your free 28 Day Ayurvedic Toolkit to help you incorporate Ayurveda into your daily routines.
Download your toolkit below.