The idea for today’s podcast episode came after I shared an Insta story of me sharing that I loved my alone time in my 5 year mom journal. I got quite a few moms saying thank you for saying that. So many times we feel the need to be with our child(ren) at all times when we are not working, and enjoy every minute. But let’s be real that is not always the case. There are times when we need a break! We shouldn’t feel guilty, or like bad moms for doing it either. So let’s breakdown some of the alone time needs.
How can we get alone time?
- Wake up before everyone else
- During younger kids nap times if your a SAH or work from home mom
- On your way home from work
- After everyone goes to bed
Why should we take alone time?
- We are more refreshed for our kids
- Our energy shifts when we feel taken care of
- Everyone needs a little time for themselves to check-in and honestly see how they are doing
What “counts” as alone time?
- What do you like to do?
- Scrolling your phone on social media does that make you feel better when your done?
- Do you like to read?
- Meditating, journaling
- Going through an online program you purchased but never have opened
- Dance party
- Cleaning if that’s your jam
What about alone retreats?
I love to go on a retreat at least once a year. I’ve been to Sarah Jenks the Wise Woman of Winter this past January and it was a life changer for me. Spending an entire weekend to just reflect, journal, be with myself and other amazing women in silence, tears & laughter is amazingly recharging for me. When I go on those retreats I usually book an extra day or two to spend by myself. I love to travel by myself and just explore. No real plans but to see what the city offers and try a new yoga class.
- Alone time
- Mommy judgement
- How to know what you need
- Why you need alone time